Call Now

Select Language

Call 1-800-938-7328 We Answer 24/7 | Hablamos Español

Back injuries are very common after a car accident. In a collision, a vehicle that is moving quite quickly stops suddenly. Anything that is restrained in the vehicle stops with the vehicle, but as your head isn’t restrained, that continues to move even though the rest of your body is held in place by seat belts. This dissonance leads to back and neck injuries that may require assistance from a back specialist.

What Is a Back Specialist?

Also called a spine specialist, a back specialist is any doctor who focuses on back or spinal injuries and conditions. These professionals may be chiropractors, neurosurgeons, pain management physicians, rheumatologists, orthopedic surgeons, or a variety of other specialists. After a car accident, you may need to meet with one or more back specialists to diagnose your injuries and create a treatment plan.

Most Common Types of Back Injuries After a Car Accident

Whiplash is the most common neck injury after a car accident, but people often suffer a variety of back injuries including herniated discs, spinal fractures, spinal pressure, and strains. If you have any of the following symptoms after a car accident, you should make an appointment with a back specialist:

  • Numbness or tingling, especially if it extends from your back to your arms or legs
  • Trouble urinating, accompanied by back pain
  • Unusual weakness in your back and legs
  • Fevers
  • Unintentional weight loss
  • Pain when moving
  • Pain when sitting
  • Back pain that gets worse through the day

Ideally, you should go in for an exam after a car accident even if you don’t feel any of these symptoms. Some conditions such as whiplash don’t show up until a day or two or even longer after the accident. To establish that the injuries were related to the accident, you should seek care as soon as possible. A back specialist may be able to preemptively diagnose you with a back injury, even before you feel the symptoms yourself.

Back Surgeries After a Car Accident

If you suffer from a back injury due to a car accident, a back specialist may recommend that you need a surgery. Some of the most common back surgeries after car accidents include the following:

  • Spinal fusion: This procedure joins together two or more vertebrae to provide relief from herniated discs and spinal fractures.
  • Discectomy: This procedure removes herniated discs.
  • Laminotomy or Laminectomy: These back surgeries remove the lamina covering the spine to alleviate pressure and reduce pain.
  • Vertebroplasty: This surgery involves injecting special bohead isn’t restrained, that continues to move even though the rest of your body is held in place by seat belts. This dissonance leads to back and neck injuries that may require assistance from a back ne cement into your vertebrae to repair a fracture.
  • Kyphoplasty: Typically done before a vertebroplasty. this surgery involves a back specialist placing a “balloon” into your vertebra. The balloon creates room for the cement.

Difference Between a Chiropractor and a Back Specialist

You can use the phrase back specialist to refer to a chiropractor, but many other healthcare providers also fall into this category. Depending on your injuries, you may need to see a number of back specialists. A chiropractor can make adjustments that help with whiplash and other strains, but you may need someone to administer pain medication, provide physical therapy, and perform back surgeries.

To find a back specialist, contact us today. At 1-800-WE-TREAT, we can help you find healthcare providers and get legal help after a car accident.

Not Sure Where To Start? Start By Calling Us!

1-800-WE-TREAT helps accident victims get
top quality medical care and legal

footer image

Where Did Your Accident Happen?

We have convenient locations throughout Georgia, Alabama, Illinois, Missouri, Wisconsin, Tennessee and South Carolina